Thursday, May 2, 2013

amazingly tasty so much more than pesto with red chile and basil shrimp over spaghetti squash

Anybody want to name this dish?
I've been meaning to make this for a while and finally got to it last night. It was all eaten before I got a chance to remember to take a picture, but it was beautiful, green and freaking yummy. Guess this isn't the most pro food blog you've ever seen, but then again, that's not really the point I suppose. The point is to post easy wing it recipes. So here you go....

SPAGHETTI SQUASH: cut it in half, scrape out the seeds, place it cut side down with some water on a pan in the oven, and roast at about 400 (my Better Half does 375 I think) until soft. 30-45 minutes? When it's done, scrape it out of the skin/shell and treat it like pasta.

While that's cooking, get busy throwing all the following stuff into your food processor (I use a Ninja blender and it seems to work just as well).

PESTO STUFF:
  • olive oil
  • a few hand fulls of fresh basil
  • a couple hand fulls of fresh, raw spinach
  • a ripe avocado
  • a small pile of pine nuts
  • a heap of garlic
  • lemon or lime juice
  • even more fresh basil (or maybe even some cilantro instead)
  • salt/pepper
  • a little bit of whatever veggies you have left over from other stuff: I threw in a bit of raw cauliflower along with some sauteed onions and serranos.
    • I definitely recommend adding some kind of chile pepper like serrano or jalepeno, but the extra veggies are just that: extra. By all means, leave out anything you think might jack up the flavor or texture too much.
When the spaghetti is done, cook your shrimp. I like to wait until the spaghetti squash is done since shrimp takes relatively no time at all. 

RED CHILE & BASIL SHRIMP: saute everything together, adding the basil at the very last so it wilts just enough to release the best flavor without over-cooking. You could even turn off the stove, and then throw it in.
  • shrimp
  • minced garlic
  • cooking oil/fat of choice (I prefer bacon grease)
  • red chile flakes
  • *splash of white wine (optional)
  • chopped, fresh basil
  • salt/pepper
 Finally, mix and/or layer everything-- spaghetti squash, pesto, and shrimp-- to your liking, and enjoy with a lemon or lime wedge. This is definitely one of my favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment