Saturday, March 9, 2013

Coconut Curried Chicken

I'll get better at taking pics of my food, promise. This really was delicious!
 So, I'm terrible when it comes to actually following recipes, thus, the description of this blog, but I started by Googling coconut curry with tomatoes. Originally, this recipe was written out for a friend, so I actually included some vague notion of quantities of each ingredient. Really though, have fun and wing it. What's the worst that could happen?

This is what several Googled recipes and some improvisation turned into....

SAUTE in a bit of coconut oil:
  • 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into bites
  • 1 small onion, chopped (shallots would've been good to, i think)
  • 1 package of mushrooms (although I think it could've used more)
  • about a TBSP of minced garlic
ADD:
  • about a TBSP of minced ginger
  • at least 2 TBSP of curry paste (I mixed both red and green)
  • 1 can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 can of coconut milk (get the good stuff without preservatives or sugar, usually organic)

SIMMER until you're satisfied everything is cooked to your liking,

THEN ADD:
a couple handfuls of fresh baby spinach
a generous heap of chopped, fresh basil

SERVE over cauliflower rice.

We also make a fantastic fried cauli-rice and also use it to stuff peppers and add sustenance to pretty much any kind of casserole. Here's a website to get you started with it if you haven't yet discovered the magic of cauliflower:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Vegetables/CauliflowerRice.htm

1 comment: