My formative culinary years were actually spent as a vegetarian, but before you run screaming from this post, fearing whatever notions of advice a reformed vegetarian could possibly offer on living a meat-heavy lifestyle, let me just say this: I've learned a lot of different ways to feel good about what I eat; AND I learned to cook by watching my vegan chef dad and by experimenting to find things that fit my lifestyle in a way that didn't feel painfully limited. In short, I learned to love lots of vegetables and I learned to get creative; and these culinary tendencies come in just as handy taking on the paleo lifestyle.
I'll admit, though, not having really learned to cook meat until after college, I still leave the steaks completely in the hands of my guy. He makes the best steaks, salsa, and meaty marinara sauce I've ever had (not to mention a couple of very-special-once-a-year-very-non-paleo treats that involve lots of sugar, cinnamon, and white flower); and we have very different styles when it comes to cooking. While I hardly know what I'm cooking until it's on our plates or in our bowls, he actually measures and weighs things and follows recipes as instructed. I'm a little envious of his focus, honestly, but I think our differences make for some pretty great creations! Anyhow, he comes from a background of trying to eat healthy while hating vegetables. He used to call cauliflower, broccoli, and brussels sprouts the "axis of vegetable evil," and he wouldn't touch the stuff. He's still far from a fan of the evil B's-- brussels and broccoli-- but they still make it to our plates in various forms, along with a ton of other veggies; and he's actually a huge fan of cauliflower now.
Seriously, that stuff's pretty magical: versions of cauliflower rice and cauliflower mashers can really complete a meal and give you that "comfort food" feel. We also use it to stuff peppers, thicken sauces, and add sustenance to just about anything. Good stuff.
And, finally, a last little note in this intro post, I'll definitely post links to favorite other recipe and exercise sites as we find and use them. Just want to give credit where credit is due. I have absolutely no affiliation with any of them, other than appreciation. A couple to get you started are:
http://paleomg.com/
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Vegetables/CauliflowerRice.htm
http://janeshealthykitchen.com/paleo-crepes/#.UTv9pBj34jE
http://everydaypaleo.com/
http://justlikemomnevermade.blogspot.com/
http://centralathlete.com/
http://farmhousedelivery.com/home.html
| my better half, me (pointing at him), and the kiddo |
HAPPY EATING!
No comments:
Post a Comment